Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What is contributing to the difficulty of this test?

Quote from professtional trainer Dave Rorem of Minnesota and Texas: "I love difficult tests, but this one, although the bird placement was good, had marks that were too tight for a swirling wind in high cover. Perhaps on a day with steady weather patterns it would be tough but doable.

"However, that isn't the case today much of the time. When I was throwing the flyer, there were four different wind changes and that affected at least five of the dogs I saw on my shift. They were hunting one bird and winded another and due to the high cover didn't know where they were or necessarily that they were picking up the wrong bird.

"In my opinion it wasn't so much about marks because of that as it was about luck...the wind played too much of a devil's advocate in the marks."